In 1775 a law was passed by the delegates of the counties of Virgina as follows, "Each company of infantry shall consist of fifty-eight riflmen, one captain, two lieutenants, one ensign, four sergants, four corporals and a drummer." As Illinois was a part of Virgina, a little later the law prevailed in this section. "A battallion of militia was formed in that part of Randolph County lying on the Ohio River in 1809.” E. J. James Territorial Laws. (This section later became Johnson County) "An order was issued by the Governor, June 2, 1809, to hold elections in these respective companies to elect persons to command these companies." The reason for organizing these companies of militia, no doubt, lay in the fact that the Indians in Indiana, Ohio and Illinois had become troublesome and frequent depredations were inflicted on the pioneer settlers. Major John Worebeck petitioned congress in 1812, to raise four companies of mounted troops in Illinois to be used in defense of the frontier settlements against the Indians. In 1810 and 1812 there were a series of massacres by Indians in Illinois territory. In 1811 settlers on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers manned a fort which had been built in 1804 on Muddy River near where old Fort Massac trace crosses that stream. This section was considered an exposed position- and many people moved away on account of fear of the Indians. In 1813, two families were killed on Cache River about where Mound City is now located. The following was the territorial law under which the militia companies were formed for protection against Indian attacks. "All free white inhabitants, residents of the state of the age of 18 years and under 45, except as herein after excepted, shall be enrolled in the militia by the commanding officer of the company within whose bounds such persons shall reside, within ten days after he shall be informed of such residence and at all times, therein after, in like manner shall be enrolled, those who may from time to time arrive at the age of eighteen or come to reside in the district, being of that age and under forty-five." This was copied from the early laws passed at Vincennes for the defense of the territory. "The governor shall provide for raising companies of grenadiers, light infantry, riflemen and artillery agreeable to the laws of the United States at his discretion and when such companies are raised and officered shall be subject to the laws and rules of the United States and of the territory as any other militia." June 26, 1811. "All officers shall reside in the respective commands." The third and fourth regiments of militia were formed along the Ohio and Wabash Rivers and located in Johnson and Gallatin Counties. The following are some of the appointments in the militia in this part of the state later known as Johnson County: January 10, 1810, Hamlet Furguson, William Simpson, Phillip Trammell, James Ford, William Alexander, and Absalom Cox were appointed captains of militia by Governor Edwards, August 2, 1810, Thomas Griffith was appointed captain in the third regiment of the militia; January 20, 1812, the governor appointed John Bradshaw, captain, Louis McMillian, John Patterson and Daniel T. Coleman, lietutenants, John Tweedy, Stephen Kuykendall, Irvil Borin, ensigns in the third regiment; January 2, 1810 David Anderson was appointed adjutant of the militia of Randolph County; July 9, 1810 the governor appointed William Simpson, Jr., ensign in the third regiment; September 24, 1814 John F. Smith, Daniel Coleman, James B. Bailey, and William Thornton were appointed captains; John Harris, Ebenzer Kealough, John Tweedy, Stephen Smith, William Huckam, lietuenants, Nathan Langston, William Johnson, John Whitiker, Issac Borin, William Tripp, John Schultz, ensigns in the third militia of Johnson County. Joseph Kuykendall was appointed lieutenant, George Weir, John Ruft, ensigns and D. T. Coleman Captain in the third regiment; January 20, 1812, Owen Evans and William Simpson were appointed majors in the third regiment, April 2, 1812, James Fox and Rice Sams were appointed captains, Martin Harvick and Vincent Larkin, lieutenants, James Simpson and William McFatridge, ensigns in the third regiment; June 15, 1815 Thomas Griffith was appointed major and Martin Harvick a captain in the third regiment; August 4, 1815 William Richy, James Fisher, James Johnston were appointed lieutenants, John Fisher, Robert Miller, ensigns in the third regiment; January 10, 1816 William Hickman was appointed captain, William Lindsey, John Whitiker and William McNorton lieutenants, R. Davis, Joseph Perrin, ensigns of the third regiment; June the 3, 1818 Benjamin Means was appointed captain, Daniel Coleman, Vice captain Allen McKenzie captain and vice captain J. C. Smith, John C. Smith promoted to major, Thomas Cox and John Graves were appointed captains, Joseph Kuykendall, William McGinnis and William Shelton, lieutenants.
All the officers were first elected by the militia and then appointed by the Governor. These appointments have been compiled from the territorial records by E. J. James from 1809 to 1818. William Russell was allowed one dollar for acting as clerk of the election for militia officers in 1825. The men serving in the militia were given land by the government. John White states he was a private in Captain Joseph Phillips Company, enlisted May 6, 1814, discharged August 21, 1815. He gave George Brazel power of attorney for him. His deed is recorded in Johnson.

Extracted 30 Apr 2016 by Norma Hass from 1925 History of Johnson County written by Mrs. P. T. Chapman, pages 169-171

Templates in Time