Like Chicago, we were in the beginning, an Indian trading post, and though much older we can claim no other likeness to our windy metropolis. The earliest history to be found outside the records of Johnson County are in Peck's Gazetteer, published in 1837. He says, "Vienna, the county seat of Johnson County, is situated on the east fork of Cache River; contains twenty-five of thirty families and three stores. The main road from Golconda to Jonesboro and Jackson, Missouri, passes through the place." The story of the deed made by Samuel McClintock of Shawneetown, Illinois, and the laying off of the town on the 10th day of April, 1818, has been told elsewhere. The original plot of Vienna began on the east side with the lot now belonging to James Bridges, and parallel with the bond issue road, it ran west to just beyond the Perkins House, south beyond the John Bain residence, then east and north back to the place of beginning, so as to include thirty acres, and forming a rectangle with the longest sides running east and west. There has been several additions since 1818. S. J. Chapmans being the first added in 1838, Basil Gray and S. J. Chapman, 1855, Copeland's 1855, Smith 1887, Simpson's 1888, Whittenberg and Frizell's 1893, Whittenberg's 1895, Sheridan's 1896, there were two in 1903, Hatt's and Hess's! Hess's second addition, 1912. Beginning on the east and running north and south the streets are numbered from First to Tenth, the streets running east and west are named. The street passing south of the library is Locust. Main Street runs into the square which divides it, and is known [page 295] as East and West Main. Vine street is the next on the north and runs the entire length of the town. The short street north of Vine is Washington. The next street north on the brow of the hill and running the length of the town is Green, the street just beyond Green on the northwest and intersecting Sixth street is College.
Our first aldermen were James Finny, Irvin Morris, John W. Gore, John Copeland, and William Simpson, who "were appointed commissioners of the town lately laid off for a permanent seat of justice at the April term of court, 1818." This county seat is situated in sections five and six, township 13, range 3 east, county of Johnson. At the July term of court of the same year this town was ordered to be called Vienna. Tradition says, it was named in honor of the daughter of William McFatridge, but William McFatridge had no daughter named Vienna. His wife was named Anna. In looking over an old family tree, this record was found, Frank Hayward married Vienna Reynolds, 1841. There is no other knowledge of Vienna Reynolds, but it is probable that if named for a person, this might have been the person for whom the town was named. The Reynolds family was an old one in the original county. It is also thought by some the town took its name from the Capitol of Austria.
The sale of lots was advertised in the "Illinois Emmigrant," published in Shawneetown, Illinois, and the following parties were the original purchasers: the first one sold was lot number 40, facing the square and running back on South Fifth Street, now owned by Lawrence Fern, the building is known as the telephone building. This lot was owned by Alfred Bridges in 1833. He may have been the first owner. He also owned lot number 2, in 1823. Others buying lots were Jesse Canady, James Smith, Irvin Morris bought lots number 18 and 40, Isaac D. Wilcox, James Finney, bought lot 19, but the deed was made to Joseph McCorcle as assignee of James Finney; James Bain's lot was number 25, Martin Harvick number 29, Robert Hancock, John S. Graves, Randolph Casey, Squire Choat, Charles E. Irvin, Joseph McCorcle, Milton Ladd, Robert Little, John Copeland, Ivy Reynolds lot number 30 which was bought later by James Jones, James Hawkins, George Brazil, John Peterson, Samuel S. Simpson, Daniel Simpson, James Jones, Isaac Gray and William McFatridge. [page 296] As will be seen from the list, many of these men were not residents of the town, but as the purchase money was used to build and furnish the county buildings, they no doubt bought with the idea of helping the county. There seems to be no buildings standing now that were built at that time. The oldest houses of the town were made of logs and later weatherboarded. The oldest now standing is owned and occupied by Isaac Hook, as a residence. It was built by Dr. Gerry, some time around 1850, and is on the northwest corner of the second block from the public square on East Main street. The two story building recently burned, (1924), just across Poplar street and directly south of the library was a part of the residence of Dr. Gibbs and formally stood on the public library lot, which had been his residence property. It was built about 1840. Another old dwelling also built about this time by Dr. A. P. Stewart stands on West Vine Street, between Seventh and Eighth, and is now occupied by Charles J. Huffman. Ivy Reynolds, lived on the south side of East Vine street about midway between the square and the bridge that crosses the drainage ditch, on or near the present site of the residence of Grant McFatridge. Basil Gray, father of A. J. Gray, lived on East Vine Street about where the present residence of Joseph R. Woelfle now stands. Col. D. Y. Bridges, father of the late Elizabeth Bratton, resided on the lot where the home of Mrs. T. B. Powell, now stands and in about the same place. Capt. J. B. Gillespie who came to Vienna in 1855 says when he came here, there were just three houses on the north side of East Main Street where Farris' livery barn is now located, and just two on the south side of the street. There were only two log cabins west of Seventh Street and a blacksmith shop was the only building, north of Green and west of Sixth.
Ivy and Rebecca Reynolds sold lot 34 to Fields & Dunn, 1834. Daniel Fields owned lot 12 which is where Jackson Bros, store is now located, and lot 14 where the First National Bank is standing. The present home of F. R. Woelfle was built by Frank Hayward for a residence for himself, several years before the war. Hayward came here to visit his relatives, the Chapmans, and being a carpenter, constructed many of the earlier buildings of the town. On leaving here about 1858 for the west he sold this property to F. J. Chapman, son of S. J. the pioneer. Hayward also [page 297] built the house on the corner of Sixth and West Vine, now owned by Mrs. Bertie Boyt, occupied by W. L. Calborn's poultry business. The house which stood where the C. M. Picken's residence is, and which was cut and moved to College street, making the homes of Samuel Lang, and Coleman Upton, was built for a home by Dr. David Whitnel, father of L. O. before the Civil War, and later became the home of Dr. W. A. Looney. Dr. Bratton's residence was built 1858. The builders were Priestly, Boyt and Warder. Hon. A. J. Kuykendall built the house now occupied by H. A. Spann for a residence in 1859. These are some of the oldest frame buildings in the town and have been in constant use for more than three quarters of a century. The brick residence of John Bain, Sr., on South Fifth street was built in 1860 and is owned by the Bain heirs and is occupied as a residence by John C. Bain and W. G. Jackson.
James Bain was the oldest citizen in the neighborhood of Vienna. His settling here is given more fully in another chapter, but an incident related by J. B. Kuykendall will illustrate the resourcefulness of some of our first settlers. Mr. Bain built a two story house on his farm just north of the town, with four fireplaces in it, two in the first story and two in the second. He made and burned the bricks used in these chimneys himself. He used them during his life time and Mr. Kuykendall bought some of them at Mr. Bain's sale years afterward. They did duty as bricks in a house Mr. Kuykendall built forty years ago, and are still to be seen in the foundation of this house which was destroyed by fire in 1920. Some other residences of a little later date were Col. Samuel Hess, who lived on the corner of Sixth and Green, George E. Gleener's present residence, Samuel Copeland, son of John the Pioneer, lived in 1850, where Norman Mosley now lives, also on Green street. There was a log house which stood on the lot at Vine and Eighth, where P. T. Chapman now lives, in 1851, and was occupied by Turner Jones, father of Mrs. Hattie Perkins. Some of the residents of Vienna in 1857 given by Eliza Dwyer were: Walker and M. E. Circuit rider; Dave Shearer, who did the work in the County Treasurer's office ; Miss Driver, a teacher ; Dr. Damron, Carter, a faith doctor ; Daniel Kincy; Louis Hogg; Grantum; Calvin Corbitt; Whitemore, hotel keeper; Lasley, Newton Pierce, merchant Frank Smith, and William Chapman. [page 298] The following names were found on an old collectors book for Vienna, 1858; Henry Bechtle, John A. Bridges, Dennis Dwyer, H. J. Lasley, Hogg & Hatt, A. P. Stewart, W. E. Morris, Winstead Davis, Payton Culver, B. W. Broks' heirs, W. J. Gibbs, Robert Little, Samuel Hess, David Whitnel, Ashley, Kuykendall & Smith, Joseph N. Newton, guardian for Elmira Bridges, D. T. Kincy, John Wright, Leonard Morgan, H. B. Sutliff, Elizabeth Burris, William H. Chapman, J. B. Chapman. These advertisements taken from the Johnson County Journal, M. A. Smith, publisher; will give an idea of the business men here in 1877 : Layers W. A. Spann, 0. A. Harker, R. M. Fisher, Henry B. Hardy, T. Chapman, C. N. Damron, Elijah Goss, N. P. John S. Crum, Real Estate; Physicans, Drs. J. M. C. Damron, T. R. Burris, George W. Elkins, George Bratton, N. J. Benson; Dentists, N. M. Gray, P. S. McKenzie; St. James Hotel; Boyd Steel, aker; J. W. Field, Pastor M. E. Church, J. F. Smith, Drygods; W. A. Mason & Norman Slack, Starmill ; A. R. Beard, W. E. Beal, Groceries ; Christ Bengert, tinner; W. E. Gleener, Nursery; C. Corbit, merchant. The following advertisements are almost ten years later; J. B. Chapman, H. T. Bridges, Cohn, Chapman & Co., Miller & Jobe, Powell & Benson, Julius Parker, J. K. Brown, J. B. Kuykendall, James Card, L. C. Throgmorton, W. I. Joiner, Hugh Wallace, Bank of Vienna, Carter & Harvick, Walker and Lambert.
Some early merchants of Vienna were Ward & Ensminger, 1833; P. L. Ward who was a member of this firm lived here in 1827, he may have been a merchant that early, Issac D. Wilcox was a merchant in 1818, Field and Dunn in 1836. It is certain there were three merchants here in 1837 and these may have been the three. T. J. Church was a merchant here some time in 1837, Daniel Field in 1841, Reynolds & Gray 1842, D. Y. Bridges 1844, N. B. Jenett, 1845, John Bain 1846, Dishon & Provo, who were residents of Jonesboro, Illinois, had a store here under the management of James Hammons in 1851, Easton Morris kept a store in the fifties where Jackson Bros, now keep ; S. B. Braver, 1857 ; Pearse and Scott, 1859 ; Bridges & Chapman, 1852, Chapman, Hess and Bridges were business men here in 1857 and erected the Chapman brick on the northwest corner of the square and Fifth street. F. J. Chapman, son of S. J., Col. Sam, Hess and D. Y. Bridges were the men composing this firm. The building was orginally three [page 299] stories high, contained an elevator and the third story was used as a storage room for tobacco, of which this county, at that time producted a great deal. This first brick business house of Vienna was, and still is, a monument to those progressive men of that day. All the material except the brick had to be hauled for miles from some point on the river. All manufactured goods were shipped by boat to Golconda, Metropolis Maybry, or some other landing near, and transported by wagons to the town. Also all produce that was sent out was likewise hauled from fifteen to twenty-five miles to the river, Anna, or Dongola after the completion of The Illinois Central Railroad to Cairo. John McCabe built the stone foundation for this building, George Hosea put up the brick, and William Priestly, Joseph Warder, Felix Boyt and James Stockdale did the carpenter work. The lower story was used first by Chapman and Hess as a general store, Bridges having died before its completion. C. Cohn and J. N. Poor were the next occupants, then followed Cohn, Poor and Chapman, after them came Chapman Brothers, P. T. and J. C, and D. L. The next occupant was the Chapman Store Co., P. T. Chapman, L. A. Knowles, D. W. Whittenberg, J. K. Elkins, Cass Oliver, J. C. Chapman, and John Sloan forming the company at different times. W. B. Bain bought out the Chapman Store Co., and did business in the building for some time. J. Spieldoch conducted a drygoods and clothing business there for about eighteen or twenty years until 1923, when he removed to St. Louis where he has engaged in the merchantile business. The third story was blown off this building in 1878, the second story was used as an amusement hall for many years. No doubt, the person doing business in Vienna for the longest period of time was John Bain. He having begun here in 1846, first in a log building on the site of the residence of W. E. Beal, later moving to the corner on the west side of the square and west Main Street. He formed a partnership with Samuel Jackson in 1861, and continued a general merchandise business till 1897, when Mr. Bain died. Mr. Jackson carried on the business till his death.
The original Perkins Hotel was built by Jackson Simpson^ before the Civil War. It was owned and occupied by L. W. Hogg as a residence in 1857. The first building was a two story log house, which was enclosed with lumber and a frame part added. William Perkins opened a hotel there [page 300] 1866. A. J. Perkins, his son bought the hotel in 1891 and erected the present building in 1894. This has been the site of a hotel for almost sixty years, and under the supervision of the Perkins' family.
Isaac D. Wilcox, was licensed to keep tavern in the town of Vienna, September, 1818. Randolph Casey and Ivy Reynolds followed the same year. These proprietors had to pay licenses and furnish bonds. All tavern keepers sold liquor in those days. Milton Ladd kept tavern in 1820, also S. J. Chapman, son of Daniel, the Revolutionary soldier. His hotel and residence was on the east side of the square about where the post office is now located. Other early landlords were, Robert Little, 1823; James Hawkins, Jesse R. Morris, 1827; Abraham Hendry, 1825. Some a little later were Louis Hogg, William Whitemore, 1. N. Pearce, Daniel Kincy. J. B. Chapman built the St. James Hotel about the last of the fifties, and operated it for several years. Others running this hotel later, were Mrs. Gibbs, Keruth, T. Chapman, Dr. P. S. McKenzie, J. F. Benton, and L. A. Knowles. The hotel stood about where the Hubbs Building is now located, owned by F. M. Huffman, it was destroyed by fire in 1895. The Central Hotel a large brick building was erected on the south side of the square in 1894 by M. T. VanCleve and A. Harvick, and was destroyed by fire about a year later. F. J. Chapman, son of J. B. built a hotel on the corner of Fourth and East Vine about 1898 and operated it for several years. This building is now occupied by Lucas Parker.
The first church gatherings of the town were held in the courthouse and school building. The oldest denomination was probably Presbyterian, but it seems to have lost its opportunity at this place, as there has been no church here for years. The oldest church building was a large two story brick, which stood where the first Baptist church now stands. The second story of this building was owned and used by the Masonic Fraternity, and was a wonderful hall for their purpose, being seventy feet long by forty wide. The first story was used by the churches, the history of which was taken from the "Vienna Times," 1907, is as follows, "The Union Church with Masonic hall above was razed in the spring of 1907. The following was found in a tin box, which had been placed under the corner stone of the building in 1859, one silver coin, fifty cent piece, said to have been put in by Samuel Jackson, one Bible, five [page 301] newspapers, a copy of the "Metropolis Weekly Sentinel" dated May 26, 1859, addressed to M. S. Smith (father of W. Y.), copy of "Jonesboro Gazettee," dated May 21, 1859, addressed to F. C. Kirkham, Copy of "St. Louis Observer," dated May 19, 1859, addressed to S. Copeland ; copy of Christian Times and Illinois Baptist" dated Chicago, May 25, 1859, addressed to Samuel Hess. Copy of "Society Record" New York, dated December, 1858, addressed to W. M. Hamilton. The account of the laying of the corner stone follows: In the year of our Lord, 1859, fifth day of June, by order of the Board of Trustees, appointed by the citizens of Vienna viz. A. J. Kuykendall, president; S. Copeland, F. J. Chapman, S. Hess, A. Harvick, J. B. Chapman, Secretary. This manuscript together with all deposit-? herewith included was placed in the corner stone of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Vienna by the hands of Woods M. Hamilton, minister of the Gospel of said church. The erection of said church under the supervision of George Hosea, chief architect, aided by a number of workman good and true." The house was erected in reality as a Presbyterian Church but it was with the understanding that it was to be used as a Union Church, especially as to the Baptist and Methodists. The lumber used in the construction of this building was hauled from Gray's mill beyond Cypress, with ox teams. The bell on it was donated by the merchants of Louisville, Kentucky. A great many if not all of our merchants, bought their goods at that time in that city. Hence the generosity of their business men. This bell is still in use on the First Baptist Church and is remarkable for its clear and far reaching tone.
We have at present five churches in our village. The Baptist, erected their present building in 1907-08 on the site of the old Union Church. It was dedicated in 1909 by Reverend W. P. Throgmorton. They have a resident pastor. The Methodist Episcopal also has a resident pastor. They with the other denominations used the Union Church till 1896, when they built the present structure at a cost of $8,000. The Christian Church was built in 1871, some of the bricks of the first brick court house were used in its construction. They have no resident pastor, but maintain their Sunday School and young peoples organizations. The Catholics have a church with a non resident priest holding services twice a month. Their building was erected and dedicated in 1896. The Congregationalists had an organ- [page 302] ization here beginning in 1893. They erected a building and maintained a pastor for several years, but the building was sold and razed in 1920. There are few members of the Pentecostal Church, they have a frame building which was built about fifteen years ago. The colored church is a frame building situated in the southwest part of the town, near the residence of Sylverster Oliver. It is Baptist in denomination and has been built about forty years.
The original seat of learning for the town was built of logs, and was located somewhere near where the First Baptist Church now stands. The seats were logs split with the flat side up like all other schoolrooms seats at that time. Mrs. Elizabeth Bratton, daughter of D. Y. Bridges, who was born here in 1841, said she went to school there to David Bales, also to Barnibus Smith. She said there were forest trees where the home of Basil Peterson is now located. She remembered the trees so well because A. J. Gray, who was then a small boy would throw the little girls sunbonnets up into the branches to tease them.
It is more than probable this was the house built in 1825, when Vienna's first free school district was laid off. The second school building was frame and stood just a little south of the present residence of P. T. Chapman and on the same lot. It was built about 1852. The only names of teachers known that taught in this building, are Dr. J. B. Ray, Miss Emma Driver, Colo Toler, Mrs. Chase, Mr. and Mrs. Marshalk, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Warder and T. Chapman. The third school house was a larger building made of brick located where the present city school now stands, built about 1866 or 1867. It was two stories with broad stairs in the center and four well lighted rooms with modern seats and desks. It served many years for the city schools, normal courses taught during the vacation, and the Teacher's Meetings. This was replaced by the present modern building in 1893, at a cost of $16,000. Dr. Bratton, was the president of the Board at the time.
The Vienna Township High School building was begun in 1918. Dr. A. E. McKenzie was president of the board. It was supposed to cost $40,000 but owing to the high cost of labor and material during the war times its cost was a little more than $70,000, so far the only high school in the county.
[page 303] The first bank in Vienna was organized in 1883 by C. Cohn, J. N. Poor and P. T. Chapman. It was a private one and was known as the Bank of Vienna. Up to that time Bain & Jackson merchants here, had done whatever business of that kind that was done in the town. The bank's first place of business was the east side of the Chapman Brick. C. Cohn was president and J. N. Poor the cashier. They erected a banking house in 1887. C. Cohn removed to California to reside, Mr. Poor died in 1888, and D. W. Whittenberg succeeded him as cashier. This bank was nationalized in 1890 with a capital stock of $50,000.00 with P. T. Chapman president; J. Throgmorton, vice-president; D. W. Whittenberg, cashier and J. B. Jackson assistant cashier. The first board of directors of this bank was P. T. Chapman, C. Cohn, Josiah Throgmorton, D. W. Whittenberg, T. W. Halliday, S. Whitehead, and W. L. Williams. They built the present modern building in 1914. Mr. Whittenberg completed a quarter of a century as cashier of this institution, retiring in 1915. D. W. Chapman was elected in his stead and with the exception of two years spent in France with the A. E. F. and in hospitals has continued in this position to the present time. The Johnson County Bank was moved here from New Burnside in 1890. It was a private one owned by J. F. Gray and A. Harvick, with C. H. Gray as Cashier. Mr. Harvick retired and on the death of J. F. Gray, his son, continued the business till 1915, when he retired and went to California. They built the two story building on the corner of East Main and South Fourth Streets owned by H. T. Bridges and occupied by the Vienna Times and Dr. A. E. McKenzie. The Drovers State Bank was organized in 1899. A. K. Vickers, J. B. Kuykendall, J. H. Carter, W. T. Dwyer, F. M. Simpson, L. A. Knowles, J. K. Elkins and O. R. Morgan were the stockholders, with A K. Vickers as president and James W. Gore as cashier; F. R. Woelfle succeeded Mr. Gore; J. B. Kuykendall followed Judge Vickers as president, T. E. Boyt succeeded Mr. Kuykendall. On the death of Mr. Boyt, Mr. Woelfle became president and holds that position at the present time, with G. H. Bridges as cashier.
They opened business in their present quarters on the north east corner of the square and Fourth Street, 1899.
The first mill of our neighborhood was owned by W. H. Price, and situated somewhere near Vienna, but the kind of [page 304] mill it was is not known. He paid taxes on it in 1820. William Price also had a carding machine here, which made rolls of wool, in 1847, the first of its kind in this section, and since all cloth was made by hand, it was quite a convenience. The first flour mill of interest to Vienna and community was the ''Star Mill" built in 1856-7 by Louis Hogg, Aaron Hatt, Bob Henard. It was a large mill, first class for its time and located on the west side of town, near the present residence of Mr. Amanda Curtis. This mill has had many operators and owners, among them, beside the original ones were, A. J. Kuykendall, Josiah Throgmorton, J. B. Kuykendall, Burton Sexton, John Wright, Mr. Taylor, Mr. Helter, Joshua and J. K. Elkins, Alcaney House, B. Lunday, Larkin Simpson, James Brown, J. W. Gore, Mr. Lane, Mason & Slack, Valentine Nesslerodt, and possibly others. It burned as usual in 1891. Walter Scott built a carding and grist mill on the south side of East Vine Street, somewhere near the site of the residence of 0. H. Rhodes, on east Vine Street, 1854. It was later enlarged and equipped at great expense for a woolen mill, and sold to John and Samuel Glasford. It was tried out on Saturday afternoon, was supplied with material and ready to begin making cloth on Monday morning; it was destroyed by fire on the Sunday night before. There was no insurance and a total loss of $40,000 was sustained which was a large amount for that period (1861) in this locality. Berton Sexton and John Wright built what was first known as the City Mill, in 1867-8. This was a large steam mill, equipped with first -class machinery for making flour and carding wool, said to be one of the best mills of its kind in Southern Illinois. The firm later changed to Wright, Throgmorton and Kuykendall. On the death of Mr. Wright and the retirement of Mr. Throgmorton, Mr. Kuykendall continued to run this mill for more than forty years. In the meantime taking his son Guy as a partner. This mill was kept up to the best possible grade with new machinery from time to time.
Later the name of this mill was changed to Vienna Roller Mill, it also perished in flames in 1910.
John Dupont of Creal Springs erected a midget or small mill on the site of the Vienna Roller Mill, in 1913, and later sold it to Charles Mathis, who continued the exchange business there until recently, when he removed to [page 305] White County, Illinois. George E. Levings & Co., operated an extensive lumber mill near the Big Four Station, beginning in 1887, selling to Josiah Throgmorton and P. T. Chapman in 1891. Afterward this plant was sold to W. E. Beal, who continued the business as long as there was timber in paying quantities in this section. Isaac Hogg operated a saw mill just across the bridge on the highway leading south from 1919 until his death in 1923. At present Edward Bellemy operates a small mill for grinding meal and poultry feed in his exchange building, the only mill left of all our fine mills.
A creamery was built here in 1893 but was not a success, as there was not enough dairy cows in the community at that time to support it. A school of telegraphy was operated here in 1899 by Ivy B. Gray, also one in 1902 by Mr. Blizzard. Years ago there was a tan yard on the creek where the present road running south turns out of East Main Street. The first owner known was Joseph McCorcle who owned it in 1822. The old vats were there as late as 1875. John R. Roden has a small broom factory near the station. The Vienna Nursery was established here in 1869 by W. E. Galeener. F. B. Thacker was connected with Mr. Gleener from 1892 for about ten years. On his retirement from the firm G. E. Galeener, son of W. E. entered the business. It is both wholesale and retail and their territory extends over most of the southern states and as far west as Nebraska, and Oklahoma. It is one of the most prominent enterprises of our community and furnishes employment to many families of the town, especially during the summer and fall season. These are all the industries the town affords, except almost every resident has a garden, chickens and some have their own cow, which might be called primitive industries.
Our laundry is sent out of town and our ice has been shipped in until the spring of 1924. It is now manufactured by the Electric Light Plant Company.
The streets of Vienna have always been a source of annoyance, the hills are so steep and hard to keep from washing. The soil is clay, very easy to wet, but rather quick to dry. The first sidewalks were built of wood and in order to get up the hills, there were many steps and high trestles, a level piece of walk and then some more steps, till one finally reached the top of the hill. At the [page 306] corner of Fourth and East Vine Streets the walk was originally as high as a one story house. This was perhaps the highest place but steps, steps were everywhere. The crossings were mud until 1890, when the present brick ones were put in by P. T. Chapman as mayor. They are not perfection but are the best we ever had. In 1894, the city bought a rock crusher and began to rock the streets which improved them wonderfully. If it had been kept up by now our streets would have been in fair condition. There is no use for a town as full of rocks as Vienna, not to have at least rocked streets. The grades had been worked down from year to year until 1909, under W. C. Simpson, as mayor, concrete sidewalks were begun, and at the present time extend along all the streets and have added more to the appearance and convenience of the town than any improvement that we have been able to secure.
The famous old lamp post and coal oil lamp were our portion for many years. In 1895 J. F. and W. J. Wright put in an electric plant. It was located on east Vine at the corner of Third, opposite the property of Miss Emma Rebman. It was a much needed improvement. It was sold to J. B. Kuykendall, later to Mrs. M. N. McCartney, who moved the plant near the railroad station. On the McCartneys leaving here the management failed to keep up the standard and the plant was finally abandoned at quite a loss to its owner. We then returned to oil and smoky lamps till 1912, when under the regime of Noel Whitehead as mayor an acetylene gas plant was put in by a private corporation and a contract to light the town for ten years was made with the company. The lights were very satisfactory, but so few used them in their residences it made the cost rather high. During the war carbide went to such exorbitant figures and transportation was so uncertain that the company was unable to secure a sufficient quantity to run the plant and two years before time expired they gave up their contract with the city. J. E. Myers put on an industrial campaign here in 1919 and tried to raise enough funds to build a municipal light plant and furnish power for a garment factory, but the scheme failed. In 1920 bonds to the amount of $15,000 were voted to put in an electric light plant. In the fall of 1922 an arrangement was made between the city and Elam and S. C. Upton to build a power house and furnish a lighting system, which is very satisfactory. [page 307] Our little village has had more than its share of fires and it is impossible to give them all. In 1884 the entire block burned on the south side of East Main Street between Third and Fourth, including several good buildings but no brick, this was about the first big fire for us. The second came about ten years later. It began about where the First National Bank building stands on the north side of the square, taking everything to the corner, also the St. James Hotel, a business belonging to J. B. Chapman's estate and his late residence, the old Samuel J. Chapman dwelling which was one of our first hotels, to the Burket brick building. These latter buildings all were on Fourth Street and the east side of the square, and were also all frame. All were replaced by brick, which was really an advantage to the town. The most disastrous fire so far in our history occurred in 1900 when a solid row of brick buildings on the west side of the square extending from the Fred Burnett building, which occupied the present site of the Ford Garage along Fifth Street to West Vine, were laid low by flames, including a fine two story brick office building, erected by Bratton and Ridenhower, about 1890, also the opera house built by W. E. Beal in 1896 which was one of the neatest and most complete buildings of its kind in Southern Illinois at that time. Its loss has been realized more keenly than any other building of the town. These two buildings were never replaced, all the others were rebuilt in 1921. Jackson Brothers, H. M. and W. G., bought the lot on the corner of Fifth and Vine and erected an up to date business building where they handle hardware, furniture and groceries. Many other buildings have been burned and rebuilt at different times in our history, each means quite a loss.
The present building on the corner of the square and East Main was built by J. H. Carter and A. Harvick, about 1887, which replaced a very old dilapidated one and from its looks must have been one of the first buildings of the town. When excavating for this building there was a five franc piece found about three feet under ground, dated 1811, indicating that a Frenchman had been here at some time, or at least some one that used French money. Fred Burnett erected a splendid two story brick building in 1887.
The following are some advertisements referring to Vienna published in the "Vienna Artery" June 7, 1871: "Town Directory- councilman-Samuel Hess, J. S. Crum, [page 308] J. H. Carter, J. Throgmorton, magistrate. M. F. Smith attorney; O. A. Marker; Treasurer, S. Jackson; clerk J. M. Beggs and Marshall, F. M. Carter. I. 0. 0. F. J. F. Benson N. G., Joel Johnson, Sec. The Vienna Union Sabbath School J. W. Wright, Superintendent; Dora Bain, Sec. Vienna Post Office Directory, Vienna to Metropolis; Tuesday and Friday; Vienna to Harisburg, Wednesday and Thursday; Vienna to Dongola, daily except Sunday. J. N. Hogg, Post Master. J. F. McCartney and Brother, lawyers, claim agents and real estate, Metropolis, Illinois; R. M. Fisher, will practice in ail the courts of Illinois, office over F. M. Jones' Store; J. M. C. Damron, M. D., office on Main Street, six doors below the public square; Dr. T. R. Burns, Physio-Medical Physician, office at residence, Vienna, Illinois. W. A. Looney, M. D. Office one square south of the church; B. F. Bellemay watchmaker, Vienna, Illinois, E. J. Ingersoll-Jewelry, watches and clocks, Carbondale, Illinois, Wright & Co., News books and job printing; advertisements from the same paper, October 1869, Village drug store, by O. G. Peterson, at Norris and Hardy's old stand; City Drug store, R. M. Kincy, with Bratton and Elkins, Dry goods, J. F. Smith; William Green, Barber and hair dresser; Hatt & Hardy, Contractors; A local says that J. B. Chapman sold $500.00 worth of goods on Saturday; Frank Hall, tin shop; J. Burke, family grocery and hardware; J. E. Johnson, painter; Citizens County Ticket, J. M. Oliver, County Judge; Associates, W. D. Deans, Joseph Warder, assessor and treasurer, Joel Duboise. Superintendent of Schools, Asahel Burnett, surveyor, R. A. Martin.
Perhaps a few prices would be interesting; in 1878 wheat was 60c and 70c per bushel; corn 25c per bushel; potatoes, 20c per bushel; chicken, $1.50 per dozen; bacon, 6c per pound; 1 pound ham 9c; buter 12-1/2 per pound; eggs. 5c per dozen; green beef, 3c and 4c per pound. An advertisement in the Johnson County Journal 1883, "Take your eggs to Chapman's and get 15c a dozen." 1888 "Wanted — A girl that can cook, salary $1.50 per week. — Mrs. J. B. Kuykendall." Hogs 5c gross, 1888; 1889 "Challis 8-1/2c per yard, bustles 15c each at Chapman Brothers, 1894 wheat 45c, eggs 10c, sugar 25 pounds for $1.00, coffee 10 pounds for $1.00, rice 20 pounds for $1.00; in 1897 bacon and lard are 8c per pound; in 1896 gingham is 5c per yard; 1900 kid shoes sold for $1.25; in 1911 flour is $2.25 per barrel.
[page 309] Copied from Johnson County Journal, April 1865; We heard Clint Chapman say last Saturday that fifty years ago he was a resident of Vienna and amused himself assisting Uncle Wests Reynolds in breaking calves to ride in the streets. He said at this time there were but few buildings here, that the court house was a small log house, the public square was full of stumps, logs and gulleys, and the citizens were supplied with water from a spring that bubbled from the northwest corner of it. D. C. Chapman at the time of which he was speaking, was about seven years old, and Wesley Reynolds was a small boy. The only spring that is any where near the square is under the building owned by Mrs. Bertie Boyt, opposite the Perkins House and fronting on West Vine Street. As the buildings were so few and the main resident section was farther south on Vine Street, it is quite probable that this is the same spring. It is not open now, but was in 1860. Mrs. Fannie Jackson was married that year began keeping house in the second story of this building. Her husband had a store on the first floor, and they used water from the spring in the back room of this building, which is made of stone.
In 1850 the population of Vienna was 142, but it had increased to 1,217 by 1900. It has been decreasing since. In 1910 it was 1124, 1920 it was 997. Vienna was incorporated as a village, February 27, 1837. It was incorporated as a city July 15, 1893. In 1889, our city had no stock law, but some of our citizens had feather beds, and many of our neighbors had hogs. One day a neighbor lady put her feather bed out on the back yard fence to sun and air, when a neighbor's hog came along and tore a hole in it. The old saying that, "He or she made the fur fly, was literally true, except that it was feathers that flew instead of fur." Vienna adopted city government in 1893 and the mayors have been, J. H. Carter, W. C. Simpson, F. R. Woelfle, John S. Bridges, Dr. J. M. C. Damron, P. T. Chapman, W. Y. Smith, W. E. Beal, L. H. Frizzell, W. E. Galeener, Noel Whitehead, R. J. Hight. Dr. R. A. McCall, N. J. Mozley, some of whom have served more than one term. Our first postmaster was Milton Ladd, then S. J. Chapman, Jasper Johnson, J. S. Crum, J. N. Hogg, A. Wright, F. M. Simpson, A. D. Hight, W. A. Spann, J. S. Bridges, T. B. Powell, W. H. Gilliam, Charles Clymore, J. P. Mathis.
A Building and Loan Association was organized here [page 310] in 1888, and was a wonderful help in building up the town The year 1890 was said to be the most prosperous year Vienna had ever known, there being at least $40,000 put in buildings and improvements during the year. Another Building and Loan Association was organized in 1921, which it is hoped will be as conducive to improvement.
The following copied from an old "Johnson County Journal" will give an idea of some of the families living in Vienna at that time, "the following students made a grade of 80 or more in the intermediate grades of the Vienna Public Schools for the month of January, 1881 ; Suda Bratton, Flora Damron, Maggie Cole, Mary Gregory, Thomas Jones, Thomas (McDermot) Wiedman, Oliver Gregory, Etha Williams, Nancy Burns, Dolly Crum, Ida Carter, Harry Jackson, William Williams, John B. Jackson, Joseph Isreal, Edgar Bellemy, Ulysses Crum, John Bain, George Burns." May Copeland, teacher.
From the above named paper 1884, "This being Leap Year the following young men were given as eligibles: James Chapman, Alex Hess, Will Graves, Will Simpson, Jeff Chisem, W. B. Bain, Frank Damron, Will Dwyer, George Gillespie, Sam Hess, Will Gilliam, Dave Harvick and George Latham."
In 1894 Hon. and Mrs. Sheldon visited the family of L. H. Frizzell, Mrs. Sheldon was a sister of Mr. Frizzell and Mr. Sheldon, who was governor of South Dakota at that time ; he was formerly a school mate of F. M. Simpson. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson gave a reception and banquet in their honor. The guests as given in a current issue of the "Vienna Times" were Governor and Mrs. Sheldon, Mayor and Mrs. W. C. Simpson, Dr. and Mrs. N. J. Benson, Rev. and Mrs. J. H. Ford, Senator and Mrs. P. T. Chapman, Dr. and Mrs. J. T. Looney, Messrs and Mesdames L. H. Frizzell, W. E. Beal, Samuel Jackson, J. B. Kuykendall, George B. Gillespie, L. O. Whitnel, H. M. Ridenhower, W. B. Bain, F. R. Woelfle, J. C. Chapman, W. H. Gilliam, Lucas Parker, D. W. Whittenberg, William Moore, A. J. Perkins, W. Y. Smith, Fred Burnett, J. F. Wright, James M. Slack, J. H. Carter, J. S. Francis, W. T. Dwyer, J. K. Perkins; Mesdames A. K. Vickers, Margaret Elkins, Sarah Poor, Delia Head, R. M. McCall ; Misses Ella Ford, Louise Rebman Margaret Cole, Francis Lonney, Eleanor McGee. Senator T. H. Sheridan, Prof, M. N. McCartney, Judge O. A. Harker, Messrs D. L. Chapman, T. B. Powell, C. A. Cunning-
[page 311] ham, John B. Jackson, J. E. Cunningham, Harry M. Jackson and Mr. and Mrs. Whitehead, Tunnel Hill, Illinois.
The Masonic is the oldest fraternal order in the town or county, having been organized in 1854.
The preliminary meeting for the organization of a Masonic Lodge in Vienna was held December 1, 1853. The first officers were D. M. Jones, W. M., L. W. Hoggs, Sr., W. A. J. Kuykendall, Jr. W., W. M. Hamilton, Sr., Deacon, R. Moore, Jr. Deacon, A. P. Stewart, Treas., J. F. Smith, Sec, and D. S. Kincey, Tyler. Members and visitors during the first meetings were: S. Copeland, D. Y. Bridges, William Price, L. B. Venable; Members of Caledonia Lodge. Dr. Whitnel, Golconda Lodge, A. J. Hill, Metropolis Lodge, Calvin Beard and S. C. Toler, Jonesboro Lodge, H. C. Hacker, John Travers, J. W. Gibbs, Inscore, Cagle, N. 0. Gray, J. D. Edmondson. The following were elected and initiated : W. H. Culver, W. H. Crider, M. Scroggins, Gabriel Utley, J. R. McCorcle, Dr. George Bratton, James M. Finney, Daniel G. Standard, John T. Hogg, John N. Cornealson, Ephriam Davis, F. J. Chapman, Sr., W. Y. Davis, Sr. ; R. J. Dark and W. L. Hamilton admitted by demits, also R. W. Carlton. Visitors from other lodges during the year were John A. Logan. Shoehart, Davidge, T. H. Smith, Hewbank, Standard, Green B. Raum and W. K. Parrish. The lodge was formally instituted and officers were installed October 31, 1854. It is number 150. They instituted and held their first meetings in the second story of the residence of Frank Smith on West Vine Street, now owned and occupied by Mrs. Daisy Harris. Their second home was over the Union Church, and they now meet in the Powell building, where most all the fraternal orders meet. Vesta Lodge, I.O.O.F., 340 was organized December 1867, I. N. Pearce, Edward Farris, John F. Benson, James T. Williford, Henry T. Bridges, were the charter members. Egyptian Chapter order of the Eastern Star was instittute in Vinna 1875. The charter members were Rev and Mrs. David Ragains, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Kuykendal, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Jackson, Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Simpson, Mr. and Mrs. Josiah Throgmorton, Dr. and Mrs. W. A. Looney. These names were not taken from a record as there is none to be found. But three of these members are still living and they gave these names. Reverend David Ragains represented the chapter at the first session of the Grand Chapter and [page 312] J. B. Kuykendall was the representative in 1876. This chapter was dormant for some time but was reinstated in 1897. It is number 30 showing it to be one of the oldest in the state.
The Rebekahs have been a working lodge since 1887, the charter members were Dr. and Mrs. George Bratton, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Carter, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Simmons, Alice Beal, Emma Brockman, H. B. Wiley, J. S. Bridges, W. C. Allen, F. A. Boyt, H. M. Ridenhower, Tenny E. Wallace, Hattie Davis. The Knights of Phythias flourished here for several years under the name of Romeo Lodge, but has ceased to function. A modern Woodman Lodge once interested a number of our citizens, but it has also ceased to be.
Vienna Grand Army Post No. 221, was chartered April 10, 1883 with John T. Mozley. Post Commander, H. B. Wiley, Sr. Vice, John McGee, Jr. Vice, John S. Crum, Quartermaster, Thomas J. Utley, Chaplain, F. A. Boyt, Officer of the day, A. J. Henry, Officer of the Guard; other charter members were; W. C. Allen, J. H. Arnett, Frank Clement, J. S. Hester, F. M. Jones, Berry Johnson, I. M. Morgan, William M. McDaniels, T. J. McCormick, William Perkins, J. E. Rose, A. B. Payne, T. B. Stewart, John Stone, 0. H. C. Stout, J. A Simpson. B. S. Turner, W. H. Thomas; James Watson. This Post has had on its roster two hundred and thirty-seven names but its membership has declined until there are (1924) the following members: George H. Huffman, James Hester, F. B. Thacker, William Bouie, and M. A. Hankins. Other veterans of the county who have been members are J. B. Kuykendall, John L. Hogg, Amos Carter, William Turley, Mark Whiteaker.
Harry Sullins Post 536, American Legion located at Vienna, Illinois. It was chartered January 3, 1920, with L. E. Burnett, Temporary Chairman and Clifford Veach, Temporary Secretary. The charter members were: L. E. Burnett, Ernest Barnwell, W. N. Carter, W. T. Corbett, Ward and Ralph Chapman, Clarence Deputy, S. F. Hester, M. T. Hester, Guy W. Hogg, E. A. Hilburn, F. M. Huffman, Alvin L. Mathis, J. F. Martin, Arthur Perkins, H. F. Rhodes, Wiley Simmons, B. N. Sharp, Clifford Veach, W. 0. Verhines, H. A. Whiteside, J. G. Whiteside. The first officers were : F. M. Huffman, Commander, W. A. Verhines,
[page 313] Vice-Commander, J. G. Whiteside, Adjutant, W. T. Corbett, Historian, Clifford Veach, Finance Officer, D. W. Chapman, Insurance Officer, Neal Carter, Sergeant at Arms, H. A. Whiteside, Athletic Officer, Lloyd Ford, Chaplain. The Legion has forty-eight members with Oliver Fisher, Commander, 1924. They meet in a hall in the second story in the Carter brick. There is also an auxilary of this post of whom Mrs. Lucas Parker is the president and Mrs. F. M. Huffman is the secretary. This post was named in honor of Harry Sullens, who was the first Johnson County soldier killed in battle in France.
There has been Commercial Clubs from time to time for business interests and at one time a Community Club for the beterment of the town flourished here, but they were all short lived. The Vienna Womans Club has lived since 1897. It seems to have caught the spirit of "eternal vigilence." It was organized in 1897. The preliminary meeting was held at the home of Mrs. P. T. Chapman and the organization was completed at Mrs. N. J. Benson's. Mrs. W. A. Spann was the first president and Miss Bertie Boyt was the Secretary, other charter members were as well as can be determined Mesdames G. W. Ballance, N. J. Benson, L. C. Oliver, W. E. Beal, P. T. Chapman, G. B. Gillespie, J. T. Looney, D. W. Whittenberg, J. N. Poor, M. N. McCartney, L. O. Whitnel, U. C. Simpson, Misses Arista Frizzell, Ida Spann and Myrtle Swain.
The club has been instrumental in bringing some very fine lecture courses to the town, also doing civic and charity work when and wherever it is needed. A lasting moument to their efforts is the concrete walk to the cemetry, built in \914, with Mrs. Lucas Parker as president of the club. The row of trees along the walk is also due to the club's interest, and the kindness of Galeener & Son nurseymen. This club has put forth both energy and money to secure a wagon yard for the farmers, which was finally accomplished in 1920. The city bought the lot and the Woman's Club furnished it. It has interested itself in many smaller things beneficial to the public. They suspended club work during the World War, and every woman, who was a loyal club worker was always found at her post in war work.
An Egyptian Club, A Rook Club, and many other clubs have been a part of our social activities. In 1890 we had a Chautauqua Circle whose members were Reverend J. G. Dee, John Bain, John B. Jackson, Mesdames Kate and P. T.
[page 314] Chapman, and A. K. Vickers. Mrs. Anna Dwyer and Ella McGee, some of whom finished this course. The Christian, Baptist and Methodist churches have ladies societies which meet once a week and aid the church by their work. Vienna has had some splendid musical bands. Vienna Cornet and Bengert's Brass band, were very fine bands of an earlier time, and the last brass band was known as Shelter's, which made music for us a few years ago. Much to our regret we have no city band at present. The Vienna Township High School has a very good orchestra. The Mendlesohn Musical Club was functioning here in 1896. Miss Alice Cook, now Mrs. A. E. McKenzie of Cincinnati conservatory was the inspiration. Miss Ella McGee followed Miss Cook as teacher of music and continued the club. Under the direction of this club many good musicals were enjoyed by the public.
Mr. C. H. Gray owned the first graphophone in the town in 1897, and the Gray Brothers, George, John and Mid established the first picture show here in 1913.
The Daniel Chapman Chapter D. A. R. of Vienna was organized in November, 1909, with Mrs. P. T. Chapman, Regent, Mrs. Orrie Thacker, Vice-Regent, Miss Georgia Blanchfil, (Mrs. T. E. Gillespie), Secretary Mrs. Eva B. Kuykendall, Treasurer, Mrs. Eva M. Huffman, Registrar. Other charter members were Mesdames Etta M. Spann, Amanda T. Whitnel, Anna C. Williams, D. W. Whittenberg, Marian Chapman Greely, and Misses Althea E. Thacker and Cynthia E. Trammel.
It was named in honor of Daniel Chapman. It was thought at that time he was the only Revolutionary soldier buried in Johnson County, however, since then it has been discovered that there are several others.
The object of this society is to mark historic spots, teach and keep alive the spirit of patriotism and participate in all progressive movements. Any woman over eighteen years of age who has decended by blood from a person who aided in the establishment of the freedom of the American Colonies is eligible to membership, provided she can prove her descent.
This chapter had the best record of service in the World War of any chapter in the state. The following relatives of members saw service in the World War: Paul and Clinton, sons of Estella (Chapman) Whitehead; Mid, [page 315] brother of Misses Kate and Daisy Gray, Mrs. F. M. Huffman and Anna Hankins; F. M. (Ned) Huffman, husband of Nelle (Gray) Huffman; Josiah and George, sons of Mrs. Amanda Whitnel; Webb Trammel, brother of Mrs. Whitnel and Cynthia Trammel; Paul C. Raborg, husband of Marion Chapman (Raborg) Greely; Arthur C. son of Mrs. May (Copeland) Jackson, Dr. T. E. McCall, husband and Neal Carter, brother of Mrs. May (Carter) McCall, Wayne, son of Mrs. D. W T . Whitenberg; Eugene and Samuel Copeland, grandsons of Mrs. Margaret (Copeland) Hill; Robert, son of Mrs. Edith Johnson; Robert, brother of Mrs. Eva (Benson) Kuykendall; Ward and Ralph, sons of Mr. and Mrs. P. T. Chapman and brothers of Mrs Marian C. Greely; Mrs. Grace (Hess) Dodge a member of this chapter saw active service in France. She died from tuberculosis contracted in this service, 1924.
The members of this chapter took government bonds amounting to $25,000 during the different Liberty Loan drives as well as subscribing liberally to the different War activities. It worked with the Red Cross in making Warsupplies. A service was held in memory of the soldiers who lost their lives in the World War, in their honor in November, 1919 and ten trees were planted in the Library yard. Harold Looney, who had served in France, made the address, the schools, boy scouts and citizens assisted the Chapter in this ceremony.
A flag (6x9) was presented to the Vienna Township High School in 1922, by the Daniel Chapman Chapter, for use on the school building. Most of the work done by this Chapter has been referred to in connection with other subjects.
There is a membership of twenty-nine with nine resident members.
Plans for marking the site of the first court house in Johnson County which was at Elvira, are complete. The marker will consist of a bronze tablet, properly inscribed, set in native stone.
In 1910, the City purchased three and one half acres of ground which were added to the Fraternal Cemetereies (Odd Fellows and Masons) and placed under one management. This arrangement has proved highly satisfactory as the cemetery is exceptionally well cared for with [page 316] J. B. Turley as Superintendent. The location is ideal and it is conceded to be the most beautiful cemetery in this section of the state.
There are at present the following businesses conducted in Vienna: Two banks, First National and Drovers State; three dry goods stores, Pearl Taylor's, C. M. Pickens and A. L. Chester (managed by Mr. and Mrs. Utterbach); five groceries, Jackson Bros., who also deal in hardware, R. B. Coyne, Walter Smith, 0. W. Fisher and Earl Veach; a furniture, embalming and undertaking establishment conducted by Lucas Parker; our two druggists are L. D. Fern and Dr. J. D. Hart; jewelers are Douglas Harris, Larry Newton, also an optician and 0. E. Harvick who operates a wholesale jewelry, silver, fine glass and china business; Paul Taylor Powell runs a modern confectionery store, also does catering, Ernest Winchester runs another up to date confectionery on the east side of the square; there are three restaurants conducted by C. Verhines, Lawrence Hunsaker and Ernest Winchester; four cream stations operated by Oscar Burris, Basil Gray, also Express Agent, J. 0. Beach and Ed. Lasley; Ed. Bellemy, feed and grain dealer; Wm. L. Caborn, and Lavador Johnson, poultry and the latter also handles feed and grain; two blacksmith shops, one run by Isaac Bellemy and the other by Mr. Phillips; a meat market conducted by Joseph McDaniel & Son; Charles Hacker & Son and James Bridges are barbers; Earl Hilburn runs a cleaning and pressing establishment; P. S. Sanders, A. Cantwell and Frank Hacker, painters and paper hangers; we have two garages, the Ford, owned by D. W. Chapman, managed by Jack Hood with Carl Bellemy as mechanic, the Home Motor Co., owned by Carol Cochran and Merideth Parker; T. C. Taylor, Automobile Dealer; a lumber yard operated by C. F. Hilliard; a publishing and printing house owned by H. T. Briges, F. C. Thomas conducts an Abstract office; A. E. McKenzie dentist; Jackson's Photographic Studio; Bridges Real Estate Agency; Elam & Upton, Ice and Coal; Vienna Nursery owned by G. E. Galeener; Post Office with J. P. Mathis as P. M.; Ned Huffman and Dave Rosenberg Clothiers; harness, saddles and buggies, Henry Mahl; Sam and Edgar Gillespie, moving and hauling; Abram Parker and Frank Harcker Shoe repairing.

Extracted 12 Apr 2016 by Norma Hass from 1925 History of Johnson County written by Mrs. P. T. Chapman, page 294-316

Templates in Time